“Learning mathematics creates opportunities for and enriches the lives of all Australians. The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics develops the numeracy capabilities that all students need in their personal, work and civic life, and provides the fundamentals on which mathematical specialties and professional applications of mathematics are built.” ACARA 2011
Numeracy teaching at Kinross PS is facilitated through a whole-school collaborative planning process, where staff work together to create differentiated programs to cater for the needs of every child. Teachers base their learning programs around a range of research-based programs and strategies, including the Western Australian Curriculum, Stepping Stones Maths Program, First Steps in Mathematics, Mathematics Maps of Development, Diagnostic Tasks, Assessment Data and NAPLAN planners to ensure our students receive high quality teaching and learning programs.
Through our numeracy teaching we:
- Enable students to develop increasingly sophisticated and refined mathematical understanding, fluency, logical reasoning, analytical thought and problem-solving skills.
- Provide opportunities for student to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematical strategies to make informed decisions and solve problems efficiently.
- Ensure all students benefit from access to the power of mathematical reasoning and learn to apply their mathematical understanding creatively and efficiently.
- Explicitly teach basic facts and mental combinations.
- Assist students to understand and apply mathematical language.
- Believe that student learning is improved when teachers have a shared understanding of mathematics and a commitment to continually improve students’ level of achievement.
- Ensure every student has access to the learning conditions he or she requires to achieve to the best of his or her ability.
- Provide opportunities for students to construct their own mathematical knowledge in their own way and at a pace that enables them to make sense of the mathematical situations and ideas they encounter.
- Encourage cross-curricular links to other learning areas and STEM, where possible, to provide authentic learning experiences.
- Cater for the varying needs of our students by offering intervention programs to support students at educational risk.